Are you tired of eating flavorless foods to lose weight? Here is the good news: consuming black coffee once or twice a day can help you lose weight in the most delicious way. A cup of black coffee has the power to boost your metabolism, reducing your appetite and burning your calories faster the entire day.
While black coffee offers a range of weight loss benefits, drinking it on an empty stomach or before bedtime can cause specific side effects. So, what is the best time to drink black coffee for weight loss? It’s best to maintain a 3-hour break after waking up and before sleeping at night to enjoy this beverage.
This guide discovers some benefits of black coffee in weight loss, the best time to drink it, and why the drinking timing actually matters. Let’s get that perfect flat stomach while satisfying our taste buds.
Can You Drink Black Coffee in the Morning?
Many people prefer drinking black coffee right after waking up, thinking it will help them lose weight. While it keeps you up and running throughout the day, it isn’t the right way of consumption.
Several studies have found that consuming coffee on an empty stomach can increase your cortisol levels, damaging your immune system if continued in the long run. Not only that, but high cortisol levels can also lead to health issues like heartburn, acid reflux, IBS, or indigestion.
Therefore, you must wait a couple of hours after waking up and then slurp your black coffee. Ideally, the duration should be 3 hours. For instance, if you wake up at 6:00, wait till 9:00 to drink coffee.
Remember to not go overboard with your daily caffeine intake. Around three to four cups of black coffee or 400 mg of caffeine are considered safe for adults.
When consumed at the right time in the morning, black coffee keeps you active, helps burn calories, and maintains a balanced weight.
Can You Drink Black Coffee at Night?
A regular sleep schedule is essential for losing weight faster. Unfortunately, drinking black coffee at night can disrupt your sleep cycle, as your body takes about six hours to break down and absorb half of the consumed caffeine.
However, caffeine may not be the only reason you face sleeping difficulties at night. It could be possible that you have insomnia or any other medical issue. So, it’s better to consult a healthcare provider to find the real cause of your sleeplessness.
It’s worth noting that the effects of caffeine vary from person to person. Generally, you should avoid all caffeine-containing items, including soda, chocolate, and tea, for six hours before sleeping. Also, check the ingredient list for caffeine on all the prescription drugs or dietary supplements.
Does Black Coffee Have Side Effects?
Optimal black coffee consumption doesn’t pose any side effects, but you may experience a few unusual changes in your body. This primarily happens when you drink black coffee at the wrong time and at an abnormal dosage.
Here are some potential side effects of consuming black coffee:
- Right After Waking Up. Black coffee may help you shed a few pounds when consumed in the morning, but it also has a high potential of making you nauseous. It can also lead to acid reflux, IBS, and indigestion.
- Before Breakfast. Our body has nothing to balance caffeine’s acid on an empty stomach. For this reason, drinking black coffee before breakfast can significantly damage your gut lining.
- With or Without Food. Many people experience gastrointestinal problems like vomiting, indigestion, or heartburn after drinking black coffee with or without food. However, there is no research study proving these claims right.
The best way to avoid these side effects is to listen to your body and how it reacts to coffee intake. You should adjust or limit your caffeine dosage if you feel heartburn or indigestion symptoms. Always consult a healthcare provider in such a situation.
Should You Drink Black Coffee Before or After Your Workout Session?
If you follow a regular workout routine, you should adjust your caffeine intake accordingly. Yes, caffeine gives you an instant energy boost, which is quite helpful for achieving fitness goals during the workout. However, you should drink black coffee at the appropriate time to reap these benefits.
The best time to consume this beverage is around 45 to 60 minutes before workout. It will allow your body enough time to digest and absorb the caffeine into your bloodstream. It’s even proven by a research study!
It’s recommended not to consume more than 2 cups of coffee before a workout, considering one cup has around 100 mg of caffeine. That’s enough to keep you active and energized the entire day. If you go too overboard with your dosage, it may result in insomnia or irregular sleep schedules.
Remember, it’s not mandatory to consume black coffee before working out. You can still manage to reap maximum benefits with a healthy diet. However, if you want to boost your exercise efforts, you can find other alternatives with a professional healthcare provider.
The Best Time to Drink Black Coffee: Final Takeaway
Black coffee can be a helpful weight loss aid if you consume it at the right time in an appropriate quantity. The best time to drink it is a few hours after waking up, preferably after breakfast. Sipping black coffee on an empty stomach can lead to several health issues, such as IBS, heartburn, indigestion, and vomiting.
As for dosage, you should stay within a caffeine limit of 400 mg a day. This makes around three to four cups of coffee. If you want to drink this beverage specifically to gain energy for a workout, consume it at least 45 to 60 minutes before starting.
Remember, caffeine affects everyone differently. If you observe any unusual signs after consuming black coffee, consult a professional healthcare provider to find its real cause.
Sometimes, it’s an underlying health issue that disrupts your sleep cycle or damages your stomach’s lining. So, on-time diagnosis and treatment are a must.
- Kaczor A. The Relationship Between Black Coffee Consumption and Weight Status. Olivet Nazarene University. 2016
- Lovallo WR, Farag NH, Vincent AS, Thomas TL, Wilson MF. Cortisol responses to mental stress, exercise, and meals following caffeine intake in men and women. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior. 2006;83(3):441-7.
- Koochakpoor G, Salari-Moghaddam A, Keshteli AH, Esmaillzadeh A, Adibi P. Association of Coffee and Caffeine Intake With Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Adults. Front Nutrition. 2021;8:632469.
- Drake C, Roehrs T, Shambroom J, Roth T. Caffeine effects on sleep taken 0, 3, or 6 hours before going to bed. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2013;9(11):1195-200.
- Martins GL, Guilherme JPLF, Ferreira LHB, de Souza-Junior TP, Lancha AH Jr. Caffeine and Exercise Performance: Possible Directions for Definitive Findings. Front Sports Act Living. 2020;2:574854.
- O’Callaghan F, Muurlink O, Reid N. Effects of caffeine on sleep quality and daytime functioning. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy. 2018;11:263-271.
- What is the Best Time to Drink Black Coffee for Weight Loss?. Marham. Accessed 10/24/2023.
- Why Do People Drink Black Coffee For Weight Loss In The Morning?. Fitelo. Accessed 10/24/2023.
- When Is the Best Time to Drink Coffee?. Healthline. Accessed 10/24/2023.